Carmen M. Martínez
• University Professor
• Department: Soil Science and Agricultural Chemistry
• Center: Faculty of Biology (USC)
• Research Group: Cartography of soils and landscape, physical-chemical, degradation and recovery of soils and waters (AMBIOSOL)
• Tel .: +34 881 81 13288
• Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Group Web: http://www.usc.es/es/investigacion/grupos/ambiosol/
Monterroso specialized in the recovery of contaminated and degraded soils, after being part of the restoration team of the waste dump of the lignite mine of As Pontes (A Coruña), recognized as one of the greatest challenges in restoring mines to European level. He published over 50 SCI articles which have been cited nearly 1000 times. He has extensive experience in pedology, soil chemistry, mineral alteration, geochemistry of environmental pollutants, and development of phyto-technologies for soil decontamination. He has participated in research projects funded by the EU (2 projects), the Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness (6), the Xunta de Galicia (12), and private entities (10). Her participation in these projects has been as Principal Investigator (11) or as Participating Investigator (19). In the academic field, he has taught the subjects of Soil Science, Biogeochemistry, Soil degradation and contamination and Waste Management and Treatment in the degrees of Agricultural Technical Engineering, Bachelor / Degree in Biology, Master of Environmental Engineering and Doctorate Program Environment and Natural Resources of the USC. He has directed 5 doctoral theses and more than 25 undergraduate and graduate / master works.
Lines of investigation
• Soil Science
Chemistry, mineralogy, microbiology and soil conservation. Edaphogenesis. Soil quality and functionality.
• Biogeochemistry Bioavailability and speciation heavy metals and xenobiotics in contaminated soils
• Technology Restoring degraded soils. Bio / Phytoremediation of contaminated soils. Phytomineries.
• Consolidation and structuring. GRCGI-1574 Foliations and Dynamic Systems (2014-PG109) (2014-2017). Xunta de Galicia, Consellería de Educación e Ordenación Universitaria (Ref.GRC2014 / 003) IP: Felipe Macías Endowment: € 320,000
• Demonstration of the improvement of edaphic biodiversity, functionality and ecosystem services in contaminated and degraded land through phyto-management within the Interreg Sudoe region. (PhytoSUDOE) (20016-2018). ERDF, Interreg SUDOE Cooperation Program (PhytoSUDOE-SOE1 / P5 / E0189). Coordinating IP: Petra Susan Kidd, Global envelope (10 beneficiaries): € 947,909.79). USC IP: M Carmen Monterroso, USC Endowment: € 141.56
• Potential of Phyto-mining for the sustainable recovery of Ni and other strategic elements from old mine dumps (FITOMINA) (2016-2019). Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness (CTM2015-66439-R) IP: Angeles Prieto Fernández, Endowment: € 175,000
Main Indicators (2005-2015)
• SCI research publications: 58
• H index: 16
• SCOPUS Citation Number: 952
• Book chapters: 7
• Research publications without impact index: 21
• International participation (conferences, presentations): 70
Most relevant publications
Balseiro-Romero, M, P. Gkorezis, P.S. Kidd, J. Vangronsveld, C. Monterroso. 2016. Enhanced degradation of diesel in the rhizosphere of Lupinus luteus after inoculation with diesel-degrading and PGP bacterial strains. Journal of Environmental Quality.
doi: 10.2134 / jeq2015.09.0465.
2016.Balseiro-Romero, P.S. Kidd, C. Monterroso. 2016. Leachability of volatile fuel compounds from contaminated soils and the effect of plant exudates: A comparison of column and batch leaching tests. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 304: 481–489.
Cabello-Conejo, MI, Becerra-Castro, C., Prieto-Fernández, A., Monterroso, C., Saavedra-Ferro, A., Mench, M., Kidd, PS. 2014. Rhizobacterial inoculants can improve nickel phytoextraction by the hyperaccumulator Alyssum pintodasilvae Plant and Soil, 379: 35-50
Monterroso, C. Rodríguez, F., Chaves, R., Diez, J. Becerra-Castro, C., Kidd, PS, Macías, F. 2014. Heavy metal distribution in mine-soils and plants growing in a Pb / Zn -mining area in NW Spain. Applied Geochemistry, 44: 3-11
2013.Becerra-Castro, P.S. Kidd, B. Rodríguez-Garrido, C. Monterroso, P. Santos- Ucha, A. Prieto-Fernández. 2013. Phytoremediation of hexachlorocyclohexane (HCH) -contaminated soils using Cytisus striatus and bacterial inoculants in soils with distinct organic matter content. Environmental Pollution, 178: 202-210.