JUAN M. LEMA RODICIO
• Department: Chemical Engineering
• Center: Escola Técnica Superior de Enxeñaría (USC)
• Research Group: Environmental Biotechnology (BIOGROUP)
• Tel .: +34 8818 16793
• Email: Juan.firstname.lastname@example.org
• Group Web: BIOGROUP
• Personal website: http://www.usc.es/biogroup/users/juan-m-lema
• Scientific Profiles: Orcid, Research Gate
Professor of Chemical Engineering at the University of Santiago de Compostela. Its research activities are located in: i) Elimination of micro-contaminants (pharmaceuticals) from wastewater; ii) Anaerobic digestion and co-digestion; iii) Enzymatic reactors for the degradation of recalcitrant compounds and iv) Biorefinery.
Director of 51 Doctoral Theses, author of more than 350 articles in international magazines and book chapters. More than 100 invited conferences in National and International Congresses. His H index is 47. Author of 15 patents
(4 of them European).
Person in charge or participant in 36 research projects financed by the European Union (14), the National Science and Technology Plan (14) and the Galician R&D Plan (8). More than 20 relevant projects with companies (budget over € 100,000). He has been responsible for the Novedar_Consolider project. He is currently the Chair of the COST Water 2020 action, which coordinates research activities in 32 European and North African countries.
Academic of the Royal Galician Academy of Sciences (2016), Doctor Honoris Causa from the Catholic University of Valparaiso (2015), Fellow of the International Water Association (2014), Gold badge of the University of Santiago de Compostela (2013), award “Martinez Moreno”, from the García Cabrerizo Foundation, to Research and Innovation (Madrid, 2011), Gold Medal for Chemical Engineering from the University of Valladolid (2010), Innovation Award from the Babcock Foundation (2004), European Prize of Industrial Enzymes (Barcelona, 1993), Comerma Engineer Prize (Ferrol, 1989).
• (co) Anaerobic digestion of wastewater and residues: Modeling, Control and Microbiology
• Elimination of microcontaminants in wastewater in treatment plants; Cometabolism
• Tertiary treatment of microcontaminants by enzymatic reactors.
• Production of bioplastics from lignocellulosic waste.
• Nanoparticles in water treatment plants. Current projects
• The Potential of Innovative Technologies to Improve Sustainability of Sewage Treatment Plants. EU Program WaterWorks (2016 2019). € 524. IP: Juan M. Lema
• Fate and Effect of Engineered Nanoparticles in Wastewater Treatment Plants. GAIN, Xunta de Galicia (2015-2017). € 150,000. IP: Juan M. Lema
• Conceiving Wastewater Treatment in 2020. Energetic, environmental and economic challenges Cost Action (ES-1202). (01.10.2012-01.10.2016). Budget: € 650,000 IP: Juan M. Lema
• Green fertilizer upcycling from manure: Technological, economic and environmental sustainability demonstration. European Commission. FP7 (ENV.213.6.3-2), (01.11.2013-31.2016). € 310,528. IP: Marta Carballa
• Holistic technology with a low environmental footprint for wastewater treatment aimed at minimizing greenhouse gases, micro and nanocontaminants (HOLSIA). MINECO. (CTM2013-46750-R). (01.01.2014-31.12.2016). € 242,000 IPs: Juan M. Garrido, Francisco Omil
• Reactor with enzymatic magnetic nanoparticles for advanced oxidation of microcontaminants in wastewater. (CTQ2013-44762-R). (01.01.2014-31.12.2016). € 279,510. IPs: Maite Moreira, Gumersindo Feijoo
• Smart Green Gas. FCC-Aqualia (01.06.2015- 3.12.2018). € 620. IP: Juan M. Lema