• Professor of Analytical Chemistry
• Department: Analytical Chemistry, Nutrition and Food Science
• Center: Faculty of Chemistry (USC)
• Research Group: Laboratory of Research and Development of Analytical Solutions (LIDSA)
• Tel.: +34 8818 14386
• Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Group Web: LIDSA
• Scientific Profile: Orcid
I have a degree in Biology (1989) and a PhD in Chemistry (1995) from the University of Santiago de Compostela. I was LRU University Assistant from 1995 to 2000, and Interim Holder until 2002; year in which I became a University Head in the area of Analytical Chemistry. Since 2018 Professor in Analytical Chemistry at the University of Santiago de Compostela. I have been accredited to the University Professors Corps since 2011. I have recognized 4 five-year teaching and 4 six-year research periods. I have taught theoretical and practical teaching in 1st, 2nd and 3rd cycle of Bachelor’s degree and I teach in Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees (Advanced Chemistry and Biotechnology). I have directed 8 doctoral theses, 11 Master’s theses, 11 Bachelor theses and more than 40 final-year projects. I coordinate the Double Degree in Chemistry and Biology at USC. The analysis of cosmetics, bioactive compounds of natural origin and compounds of wine and winemaking residues, together with strategies for the use of these are my current lines of research.
At the same time, I am looking for new photochemical applications for Analytical Chemistry. The analytical tools that I apply are based on novel extraction and microextraction techniques and processes based on the principles of Green Chemistry; as well as chromatographic tools, mainly: GC MS / MS; LC-MS / -MS and HPLC-UV-FL.
I have been a principal investigator and have participated as a researcher in a good number of research projects at national and regional level. I have more than 90 publications and have presented more than 100 papers at international and national conferences. I am a scientific advisor to companies in control of cosmetics and ingredients of natural origin. Multidisciplinary collaboration, particularly in soil ecology, animal behavior and microbiology, is another important aspect of my professional career.
Lines of investigation
• Development of new methodologies for analyzing cosmetic ingredients and cleaning and personal care products.
• Study of the antioxidant potential of wines and vinification by-products. Investigation of exploitation alternatives.
• Research into new sample preparation techniques for analysis based on Green Analytical Chemistry: microextraction techniques with and without solvents: SPME, LPME, DLLME, USAEME
• Development of new analysis methodologies for priority and emerging pollutants in environmental, agri-food and biological samples: pesticides, polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs), phenols, phthalates, fragrances, preservatives, drugs.
• Investigation of the processes of degradation of chemical additives and environmental pollutants. Determination of degradation by-products.
• Development of analytical and environmental applications of Photo-SPME.
• Bagaver: self-management and valorization “in the cellar” of fresh and distilled bagasse. Xunta de Galicia. Ref. FEADER 2018 / 003B. Dates: 01/01/2018 until: 30/11/2020. Researcher (IP USC: Lores Aguín, Marta). Funding: 100,000 (for consortium).
• Research Group Consolidation Program, Potential Growth Groups (GPC) modality. Xunta de Galicia. Ref. GPC 2017/04. Dates: 01/01/2017 until: 30/11/2019. Researcher (IP: Lores Aguín, Marta). Funding: € 90,000
• Safety of cosmetic products: monitoring and control of dyes, sunscreens and preservatives. Mineco-National Plan. CTQ2013-46545-P. Dates: 01/01/2014 – 06/30/2017. Researcher (IP: García Jares, Carmen). Funding: € 87,000
• CONSOLIDATION PROGRAM FOR RESEARCH GROUPS, GROWTH POTENTIAL GROUPS MODALITY (GPC). (GPC2014 / 035). (8/10 / 2014-30 / 11/2016). Xunta de Galicia. María P. Llompart Vizoso. Endowment € 70,000
• SAFETY OF COSMETIC PRODUCTS: MONITORING AND CONTROL OF DYES, SOLAR FILTERS AND PRESERVATIVES. (CTQ2013-46545-P). (11/28/2014 – 11/28/2016). Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness. Carmen García Jares. Endowment € 79860
• REGATA: Rede Galega de Tratamento de Augas GI-1613. (R2014 / 013). (11/28/2014 – 11/28/2016). CONSOLIDATION AND STRUCTURE. NETWORKS. Xunta de Galicia. Juan Manuel Lema Rodicio. Endowment € 120,000
• JCR Research Publications: 90
• H index: 29
• SCOPUS Citation: 2044
• Book chapters: 4
• Research publications without impact index: 5
• International participation: (conferences, presentations): 109
• Patents: 3
Most relevant publications
María Gómez-Brandón, Marta Lores, Heribert Insam, Jorge Domínguez. Strategies for Recycling and Valorization of Grape Marc. Critical Reviews in Biotechnology (2018) in press, DOI: 10.1080 / 07388551.2018.1555514.
M. Lores, M. Celeiro, L. Rubio, M. Llompart, C. García ‐ Jares. Extreme cosmetics and borderline products: an analytical ‐ based survey of regulatory compliance. Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry (2018) On line 31 August. DOI: 10.1007 / s00216-018-1312-3.
W Benabderrahmane, M Lores, JP Lamas and S Benayache. Matrix Solid-Phase Dispersion as a tool for Phytochemical and Bioactivities Characterization: Crataegus oxyacantha L._A Case Study. Natural Product Research, 32 (2018) 1220-1223
G. Álvarez-Rivera, C. Garcia-Jares, M. Llompart, and M. Lores (2017) “Preservatives in Cosmetics: Regulatory Aspects and Analytical Methods”. In: A. Salvador & A. Chisvert Eds.) “Analysis of Cosmetic Products “, 2nd Edition. 544 pages. Elsevier Science, (9780444635082), publication, March 2017
Lores, M. Llompart, G. Álvarez-Rivera, E. Guerra, M. Vila, M. Celeiro, J.P. Lamas, C. Garcia-Jares. “Positive lists of cosmetic ingredients: analytical methodology for regulatory and safety controls. A review ”. Analytica Chimica Minutes, (2016)
Alvarez-Rivera, M. Llompart, C. Garcia-Jares, M. Lores. “Pressurized liquid extraction-gas chromatography-mass spectrometry for confirming the photo-induced generation of dioxin-like derivatives and other cosmetic preservative photoproducts on artificial skin”. Journal of Chromatography A, (2016)
Alvarez Casas, M. Pájaro, M. Lores, C. Garcia Jares. “Characterization of grape marcs from native and foreign white varieties grown in northwestern Spain by their polyphenolic composition and antioxidant activity”. European Food Research and Technology, (2016)
Álvarez-Rivera, M. Llompart, C. García-Jares, M. Lores. “Identification of unwanted photoproducts of cosmetic preservatives in personal care products under ultravioletlight using solid-phase microextraction and micro-matrix solid-phase dispersion”. Journal of Chromatography A, (2015) 1390: 1-12
Lores, M. Pájaro, M. Álvarez-Casas, J. Domínguez, C. García-Jares. “Use of Ethyl Lactate to extract bioactive compounds from Cytisus scoparius: Comparison of pressurized liquid extraction and medium scale ambient temperature systems.” Talanta, (2015) 140: 134–142
Domínguez, H. Martínez-Cordeiro, M. Álvarez Casas, M. Lores. “Vermicomposting grape marc yields high quality organic biofertilizer and bioactive polyphenols”. Waste Management & Research, (2014) 32: 1235–1240.